Spanish-Speakers Becoming More Engaged Online.
The Spanish-speaking community is increasingly using the Internet for a variety of commercial activities, according to Feedback Research.
Feedback Research surveyed a random sampling of Claria's tens of millions of anonymous users to gain insight into how Spanish-speaking consumers use the Internet for their shopping and personal needs. The survey included a sample of online consumers who lived in the U.S., spoke Spanish at home and/or used Spanish media regularly.
New To The Internet Spanish-Speakers -- Already Highly Involved Results indicate that Spanish-speakers are highly engaged in a variety of online activities:
-- 79% of Spanish-speakers have been using the Internet for 5 years or less.
- Spanish-speakers were more likely than Non-Spanish-speaking respondents to have used the Internet for less than 2 years
(46% Spanish vs. 17% Non-Spanish).
Entertainment and Social Activities Boost Involvement Online
-- Like other Internet users, e-mail was the most popular Internet activity among Spanish-speakers (75%).
- Spanish-speaking respondents were more likely than Non-Spanish-speaking respondents to read news/current events
(70% Spanish vs. 51% Non-Spanish), chat/IM with others
(49% Spanish vs. 24% Non-Spanish), look up sports scores/news
(43% Spanish vs. 24% Non-Spanish), watch/listen to video/audio files
(38% Spanish vs. 24% Non-Spanish), and download music
(29% Spanish vs. 21% Non-Spanish).
- Like other Internet users, the popular commercial activities that Spanish-speakers conducted online included researching or buying travel arrangements (48%), researching new cars (37%), and researching or buying consumer electronics (33%).
Online Shopping Increase Predicted
-- More than half (54%) of Spanish-speaking respondents had purchased something online.
- Spanish-speaking respondents were more likely than Non-Spanish-speaking respondents to believe that their use of the
Internet for shopping and/or purchasing products and services would increase over the next year (45% Spanish vs. 36% Non-Spanish).
Good Prices Drive Online Purchases
-- 69% of Spanish-speakers chose the site they purchased from because of good prices/rates while 58% chose the site because of secure credit card transactions.
- Spanish-speaking respondents were more likely than Non-Spanish-speakers to choose the site they purchased from because
of availability of promotions/deals (39% Spanish vs. 29% Non-Spanish).
Credit Cards Preferred Method of Online Payment
-- 60% of Spanish-speaking respondents preferred using a credit card for online payment.
- Spanish-speaking respondents were more likely than Non-Spanish-speaking respondents to use debit cards
(43% Spanish vs. 35% Non-Spanish) and personal checks
(19% Spanish vs. 13% Non-Spanish) when buying products online.
Spanish Language Sites Preferred When Shopping Online
-- Many Spanish-speakers choose to shop at Spanish language sites.
- 69% of Spanish-speakers who shop online preferred Spanish language sites when shopping or gathering information about products/services online.
- 49% of Spanish-speaking respondents who shop online stated that they were more likely to buy from a Spanish language site when shopping online.
Store Manufacturer Sites Popular Among Spanish-Speakers
-- 62% of Spanish-speakers who shop online indicated that they go to specific store manufacturer sites for their online shopping while 59% indicated they go to search engines.
- Spanish-speaking respondents were more likely than Non-Spanish-speaking respondents to go to portal sites for online shopping (53% Spanish vs. 35% Non-Spanish).